Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bookie people are the best people

I've been feeling a bit low of late and two chance encounters with strangers have brought an unexpected smile to my face - and what brought us together was a mutual love of books.

The first was last week when I went to pick up a new novel, "The House of Special Purpose" by John Boyne (sorry, I haven't read it yet but it's on the top of the TBR pile and I am expecting most excellent things after the very good "Boy in the Striped Pyjamas"). I was greeted by the most effervescent and friendly Babs who felt like an instant friend as we chatted about books (naturally), family, careers and life in general. We plan meet up for coffee soon.

The other incident was this afternoon. I took myself off to Starbucks for my latest addiction, a Mocha light frappacino while curled up in one of their armchairs in the sun. Only the place was packed save for one lone armchair across from a woman doing exactly what I was about to: drinking a frappe and reading. I plucked up the courage to ask if I may share her table, something I would usually never do but she looked like a kindred soul. And I was right. Over our caffeine we debated who was reading the trashier novel (we decided on a draw - and in case you are wondering I am reading the very light weight but witty "To Love, Honour and Betray Til Divorce Do Us Part" by Kathy Lette), what some of our fav reads this year had been and gave each other recommendations.

These two little random encounters not only made my day but reinforced my belief that bookie people are the best people: warm, engaging, and always ready to share a smile and a story.

Don't you agree?


No comments: