Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Maurice Bernard Sendak (June 10, 1928 – May 8, 2012)

True confession time: Where The Wild Things Are scared the crap out of me as a child. Okay if I'm honest, a little bit of that hangover into my adult life too.  Big fat fraidy cat? Why yes I am.  

My weird hangups aside, I can still very much appreciate what an amazingly talented man the author Maurice Sendak was - not only a children's author but illustrator as well.  And if authors are my rockstars, author/illustrators are my demigods.

I hope you're having many amazing wild rumpuses wherever you are Mr Sendak.

I'll leave you now with these two all-kinds-of-awesome images of (a very animated!) President Obama reading Where The Wild Things Are. Even the most powerful man in the world (arguably) is captured by the spirit of this iconic story and illustrations.  The pictures are courtesy of one of my absolute favourite tumblrs, Awesome People Reading (go add it to your RSS feeds - you can thank me later). 





*edited to add: if you google "Obama reads Where The Wild Things Are" you get more equally hilarious pics. I think it's fair to say Mr President is a Sendak fan :P


2 comments:

Karla Akuhata said...

my boy was a bit scared of it too but, ashamedly, I still used to read it to him at bedtime because I loved it :).

Caffeinated Weka said...

I loved Where the Wild Things Are as a child and as a teacher but agree - it is scary! My young nephew has been in love with this book since he was 2. We make all the scary noises (they mostly sound the same: "raaarrrrr!") and he knows every page. I gave the movie a wide berth, though - sounds like I was wise to do so.