Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Bridget's Back! And for the record, I'm kinda Team Cleaver *shamefaced*


It seems my book life is all about anticipation atm: Mortal Fire next week and in October....BRIDGET JONES baby!!!!!

Today her publishers Random House have revealed the title to the third instalment - Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy.

Bridget was my gateway drug into five solid years of reading nothing but chick lit.  I remember vividly buying her first book: I'd struck up a friendship with a lovely sales girl at Whitcoulls in my beloved home town of Palmy who shared the same taste in books as me and made great recommendations.   If she worked on commission she would have made an absolute fortune off me.  Anyway, this sweet girl (who's name I've forgotten) told me I absolutely had to read this hilarious little novel which I duly did and duly fell a little bit in love with Bridget - so much so that I even forgave author Helen Fielding's somewhat unrealistic plot twists in book two, The Edge of Reason. Because Bridget was every girl's hero and I so wanted to be like her, heartbreak and all (but minus the ciggies because, honestly ewww).

I also very vividly recall the fate of my first copies of the Bridget Jones books - stolen by a swindling flatmate, along with my first Black Caps shirt and four weeks rent and bills money.  Still trying to let that go....

Plus, as if revealing the title today wasn't enough, her publishers have revealed a tantilising little morsel from the book iteself:

11.27 p.m. Just presss d SEND. Iss fineisn't it?

You see, this is the trouble with the modern world. If it was the days of letter-writing, I would never even have started to find his address, a pen, a piece of paper, an envelope, a stamp, and gone outside at 11.30p.m. to find a postbox. A text is gone at the brush of a fingertip, like a nuclear bomb or exocet missile.

Will Bridget be as awesome 14 years down the track? (The exert above to me says YES!) Will I, who hasn't read more than the very occasional chick lit in the last seven years, still love her? Will she still be tossing up between Cleaver and Darcy? Who exactly is the boy the title says she's mad about?

Eeeeeeeee. So. Much. Excitement!



No comments: