Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Yay me! I won a made up award!

You know it's been waaaaaaaaaaay too long since you last blogged when you visit your site and get a fright, forgetting that you completely changed the look and layout last time you touched it.

>me right now<

So here I am, back with another blog post and it's all thanks to the lovely Bookiemonster.  I'm a sucker for feeling absolutely compelled to respond when I'm tagged in a meme. And even better, this one comes with an "award"  and I didn't have to do anything to win it!




The Liebster Award is bestowed to up and coming bloggers** with less than 200 followers. There are no judges and each person nominated is a winner! It is an award that fellow bloggers nominate to each other to offer recognition and support. According to Google translate, Liebster means ‘dearest’ in German. This means that the Liebster blog award is acknowledging the dearest bloggers out there who may not have millions and trillions of followers, but still deserve recognition for all of their hard work.”

**do I still count as "up and coming" if I've been doing this for *gulp* seven years?!?

Here are the Liebster Award Rules:
List 11 random or interesting facts about yourself.
Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
Nominate 11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
Ask 11 new questions to the bloggers you have nominated.
Notify the bloggers you have nominated that they have been awarded the Liebster Award.
Thank the blogger who nominated you

Righto...

11 Random or Interesting Facts About Me

1.   I'm afraid of birds, ducks especially (those fuggers are evil I tell you) but closely followed by geese, swans and chickens. Unless of course they are roasted and served with veges and gravy.
2.   John Green fans will have noticed the hat tip to An Abundance of Katherines in #1 - I'm a big fan of the man too. The Fault In Our Stars was a-maz-ing. Go read it now if you haven't. Go!
3.  When I was little I wanted to be a bank teller - until I realised that all that money you got to play with each day wasn't actually yours...
4.  I share my home and my heart with 1 husband, 1 house bunny and 3 kitties.
5.  We got married last year in an Elvis chapel in Las Vegas!
6.  Elvis and I share the same birthday (mark your calendars for January 8th :P).
7.  Caffeine is my lifeblood. I'm pretty feral without a coffee in the morning (you have been warned).
8.  At age 10 I was selected for the Manawatu Under 13 Girls Representative soccer team. This is my highest (and only) sporting honour. I played two games before being dropped.
9.  I broke my foot on April Fool's Day falling down one step (admit it, that takes skill). You can imagine how the conversation with my boss went when I called work to say I wouldn't be in that day.
10.  Okay this one's kinda scary to admit to...*deep breath*...I like country music.
 11.  I'm equal parts excited and nervous at the prospect of a new Bridget Jones' Diary novel. I loved the first two so much! Please don't ruin them Helen Fielding. #nopressure.


What's next?

Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you. 

Okay here goes...

What’s your desert island book?

Cricky, no easing us in there BookieMonster! I'm going to say Room by Emma Donoghue. It's possibly the only novel that I've anticipated so highly and has actually exceeded all the hype and my expectations.


Favourite fruit?

Strawberries (especially dipped in chocolate).

Ebooks or hard copies?



What was the last thing you read, watched, and listened too?
Read: Big Brother by Lionel Shriver (just finished tonight and conflicted about the ending and really struggling to separate what I know of Ms Shriver from the character of Pandora...)

Watched: Campbell Live - John Campbell will forever have my current affairs heart.

Listen: Royals by Lorde (this makes me look much cooler than I am. Find me on Spotify to see for yourself).

What do you like best/least about blogging?
The best thing is having a place to share/vent my thoughts and opinions on books that's totally my own...which also feeds into the worst thing: it's just me here so when life/work/study/stuff gets in the way this poor wee blog gets very neglected. If it were a child CYFS would have been called long ago :(

What is one thing your author blurb/bio would say (that it doesn’t already, for those who have them)?
Kelly will forever be shocked a) she ever got over her fear and managed to commit words to the page and b) that they were good enough to be printed.

What’s the most recent new thing you learned?
*spoiler alert if you follow my work Facebook page* but "The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is regarded as the toughest tongue twister in the English language. Go on, give it a try.

When and why did you stop believing in Santa Claus?

I can remember the day before Christmas when I was 10 telling my mum I didn't believe in Santa any more. Poor mum. She obviously had everything ready to go in my Santa Sack that night and asked why I thought that - it was pretty obvious really since my older brothe
r and sister hadn't received any gifts from the big fat fella the previous year. Mum's solution? She asked me to pretend for one more Christmas - and being a girl who loves being spoiled, it wasn't hard to agree :P

Han Solo or Luke Skywalker? Or Princess Leia?

Mr Solo. 
 
Top five authors?


Harper Lee
Chris Bohjalin
John Green
Lionel Shriver
Nick Hornby


Do you have one well-known author you’ve never read?
Oh man, so many. Especially "the classics" which kinda makes a mockery of the whole wellreadkitty name. And every year I resolve to read some and each year my good intentions get waylaid by the plethora of awesome new books that come in.

Onto the next phase of the award: nominate 11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers 

Mummy Adventures 

Queserasarah

 Cafe Chick

Cover Me Books 

Book Worm Blues

Catatotonichic (though this isn't her usual kinda thing)

Okay...I've fallen 5 short but bed is calling so I'm done :)

Ask them 11 questions
Because I believe in the goodness of recycling I'm gonna cheat and reuse BookieMonster's :P

What do you like best/least about blogging?
Which book do you remember as important in seducing you into reading & bookish things, and how old were you?
What was the last thing you read, watched, and listened too?
What is something you would never do again?
Is there a book that everyone seems to love but it just didn’t work for you?
Do you grow any of your own vegetables?
Are you a yellow person or a purple person?
What book(s) would you recommend be on a “Before You Die…” list?
What's your favourite season and why?
eBooks or tree books?
What is one thing your author blurb/bio would say (that it doesn’t already, for those who have them)?

Notify the bloggers you have nominated them for the Liebster Award

Done.

Thank the blogger who nominated you.

Thanks BookieMonster! These are for you :)

No comments: